Healing, nourishing, immune boosting, soothing, anti-inflammatory, delicious, fulfilling. Loads of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants in a good broth which is why I mention organic A LOT in the ingredients – it pays to do it well to reap the rewards for your health.
I always have Chicken Broth on hand either in the fridge or in the freezer as I use it every day. I cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker and once it’s done I load the following in with the leftover liquid/frame/cartilage/meaty bits…
Have as a delicious drink, use for soups, use to cook veges, use to make sauces and gravies, add to cooking when extra liquid is needed.
- 1 organic chicken frame I use Bostock Bros chickens
- 1 organic onion
- 2 organic carrots
- 1 organic celery stalk
- 1 organic apple or lemon would you like sweet or sour stock? Or both!
- 1 tsp Claridge’s sea salt with natural iodine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- Rosemary and Thyme – fresh or dried is fine
- 1/4 cup of organic apple cider vinegar
- 5 leafs of Ceres Organics Nori seaweed
- Enough filtered water to cover the ingredients – approx 10 cups
- OR less if you're making the broth in the leftover juices from cooking the chicken – bonus points for extra nutrients!
- Add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker
- Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours. Let cool and sieve into a large bowl, then ladle into jars. DO NOT SKIM THE TOP! This is the best bit, this little layer of healthful fat. (If you want a stock, cook for 6-8 hours or overnight).
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days, if unused transfer to freezer (ensure there is room in the top of the jar for expansion).