That smell! That texture! Nothing beats a deliciously, soft, spicy hot cross bun at Easter time, layered with grass-fed organic butter or raspberry jam. This home-made version is gluten, dairy, refined sugar free – healthy!
Healthy Hot Cross Buns
- Electric Beater
- 1½ tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup warm water
- 1¼ cup almond meal
- ¾ cup rice flour
- 3 tbsp ground psyllium husk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- zest of an orange or lemon
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup sultanas
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 4 tbsp water
- In a small bowl, place the yeast, maple syrup and water and mix together. Set aside in a warm spot covered by a tea towel to proof for 10 minutes.
- While waiting, in a large bowl add all of the other ingredients (except eggs, olive oil, sultanas) and mix together.
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs, olive oil and yeast mixture and mix with an electric beater until fluffy.
- Pour this liquid and the sultanas into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix together. Leave to meld together.
- Turn the oven onto 160°C Fanbake (or 180°C conventional)
- Make the cross mixture, you want it to be like a paste. Add to a small plastic zip lock bag then cut off the tip of a corner.
- Mix the bun mixture again slightly, then with wet hands, roll into around 10-12 balls and place on baking paper in a dish with a 1cm gap between each. Cover with a hot damp tea towel and place somewhere warm in the sun or hotwater cupboard for 1-1.5 hours.
- The balls should now have risen and look more like buns. Pipe the cross mixture onto the buns, may need to use fingers to press down or shape as desired.
- Cover the dish with tinfoil and place in the oven. Cook for around 8 minutes then take out of oven and remove tinfoil, then bake for a further 8-10 minutes until golden.