Diatomaceous Earth has a long history of use for internal parasite control in humans, poultry, farm animals, domestic pets and equestrian applications. When used internally on a daily basis, the honeycombs of the DE act to lacerate internal worms which makes them release their grip on the intestinal walls so they are passed out with the bowel motion. The gut lining has a mucosal layer which means the DE does not affect the gut tissue. DE will help to cleanse the colon and intestinal passages and this cleansing effect helps to remove excess mucus and bad bacterial populations internally which may have occurred over time. This provides a greater ability to absorb nutrients being provided.
Purely Earth’s Diatomaceous Earth is 89 – 95 percent amorphous silica. As well as being very high in silica, it contains 15 essential trace minerals including phosphorous, selenium, calcium, sodium, potassium, magnesium, copper, zinc and iron.
Silica is the most plentiful element on earth, following oxygen. There are however, very few foods that contain an adequate amount to supply the quantity your body needs. Green vegetables and the shells of crustaceans are the richest sources. Silica is crucial to bones, tendons, skin, cartilage and blood vessels. Silica is even located in the blood itself and important organs such as the liver, heart, and lungs. DE is a great way of increasing silica content in the diet and if used on home vegetable gardens, will increase the silica content of that food supply.
Ingredients: 100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth powder.
Free from chemicals, additives and preservatives.
Diatomaceous Earth Precautions and Additional Uses
Please note: A number of other websites refer to using Diatomaceous Earth (DE). Please DO NOT substitute their guidelines or product for ours. Our guidelines are designed to work with our products. Because of legislative issues we cannot refer to using D E specifically for human consumption nor as an insecticide. The following guidelines are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor.
DO NOT use DE internally with 2 legged mammals with Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis or internal ulcers. In these instances, we recommend the use of Purely Earth Clay instead and that this should be carried out under the supervision of a practitioner.
For internal use with any mammal, Diatomaceous Earth MUST be a food grade product. This ensures the product is contaminant free and that it is milled to the correct consistency. Purely Earth Diatomaceous Earth is one of the highest food grade products available.
Like all new introductions exercise caution and introduce slowly, increasing dosages gradually over time until reaching the desired level. As individuals, environments and situations are all unique we recommend considered fine tuning to achieve maximum benefit.
DE production staff working in food grade DE mines in the US have not reported ill effects from prolonged and regular inhalation of dust in the workplace. Despite this, dust inhalation of any kind, especially in a pro-longed nature should be considered un-healthy and best avoided. Please take this into consideration when dusting DE through animals coats or applying as a powder to fruits or vegetables as a means of insect control. Wear a mask and dust animals outdoors. (You can mix it with water and spray on to vegetables and fruit to reduce the dust. It will kill aphids, mealy bugs, scale, caterpillars and other insects but must be applied directly to them or be where they crawl. If it doesn’t touch their bodies it won’t work).
- Asthma suffers or other lung ailments should certainly take extra careful and take additional precautions and be conscious not to breathe in the ultra-fine dust particles.
- Avoid getting DE in the eyes of yourself, your animals and livestock. DE is drying to the eyes, so be aware of wind direction.
- DE can be drying to your skin, hands, and feet, similarly to your pets. Be sure to wash off skin, feet or hooves. If you suffer from dry skin you may consider using gloves when handling DE.
- Some people have the potential to experience a healing crisis (detox reaction) when beginning DE consumption. If you try it internally and this occurs, reduce the dose and increase in slow increments until the full dose is reached.
- You can apply it to control fleas in carpet and bedding. Be aware however that there have been reports of excessive volumes of DE causing issues with certain vacuum cleaners.
- DE can be used to soak up spills such as red wine and will just vacuum up when dry.
- Ensure all spray equipment is cleaned after use to avoid DE leaving residue deposits in the tank, pump, nozzles etc. Simply flushing with clean fresh water for a minute until clean will suffice.
- DE has the potential to kill beneficial insects as well, exercise discretion particularly with flowering plants where bees may frequent in season.
- DE has absolutely nil withholding period when sprayed on fruit and vegetables destined for human consumption. It is harmless and you could spray, pick and eat it all in the same day.
- NEVER use pool filter grade, industrial grade or any diatomaceous earth other than those that meet food safety standards for yourself or your animals. It can poison or kill them.
- Don’t settle for anything less than the best grade DE for your home, your family, pets, farm or horticultural uses. Purely Earth’s Diatomaceous Earth has OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute) status and is certified Organic in the United States. New Zealand Organic status has recently been granted by BioGro – BG5339.
- Storage – We recommend you store your DE in an airtight container. DE, water and humidity don’t mix from a storage perspective.